Background

Monday, April 19, 2010

Cold War Tension 2: The United States' Plan of Containment and The Marshall Plan

After Truman said it was time to stop "babying the Soviets", George F. Kennan's, a U.S. diplomat in Moscow, suggested containment in February 1946. Containment would be an effort to block the Soviet Union's attempts to spread communism. The United States and Soviet Union trying to take over Eastern Europe was a huge problem in the Cold War. They both tried to spread their beliefs to Asia, Africa, and Latin America. The United States sent 400 million dollars to Turkey and Greece to decrease the danger of communists taking over those nations. In February 1948 the Soviets took over Czechoslovakia. The United States came up with the Marshall Plan. It was a plan to help rebuild parts of Europe after World War II.

2 comments:

  1. Anna, wow, I really liked this post! I learned a lot that i didn't know before such as the fact that the U.S. sent money to Turkey and Greece to try to contain communism. This was really interesting. Maybe you could have gone into more detail about the soviet takeover of Czechoslovakia, but it was still great. :) Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea you could add music or a specialized background to your blog. I must say your is the best looking blog I have seen so far. Also, I liked all of the facts you included in your post. I knew about the Marshall Plan, but I really did not know any specifics.

    ReplyDelete